Canine Influenza Virus (CIV) is a relatively new virus in dogs. Two strains have been identified, H3N8 and H3N2. You can find more information about CIV at the following link on the American Veterinary Medical Association website:
Euthanasia: Perhaps the most difficult challenge all pet owners confront is deciding when to euthanize their beloved pet. When you are faced with this decision, the doctors and staff at East End Vet will help guide you. In addition, we have found the following link to be helpful.
At EEVMC we understand that saying goodbye to a beloved pet can be a profoundly emotional experience. If you are having a difficult time with grief over the loss of your pet, there are several organizations around the country that are available to listen and help you through the process. Here is a link to a list of several Pet Loss Support Hotlines.
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) has a very comprehensive website that provides resources on a variety of topics. Here are direct links to a few topics that we thought you’d be interested in, but feel free to explore the entire ASPCA website at www.aspca.org:
- Poison Control: ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: (888) 426-4435
Poisonous Plants and Foods: www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control
- Hot Weather Safety Tips: www.aspca.org/pet-care/general-pet-care/hot-weather-safety-tips
- Cold Weather Safety Tips: www.aspca.org/pet-care/general-pet-care/cold-weather-safety-tips
- Travel Safety Tips: www.aspca.org/pet-care/general-pet-care/travel-safety-tips
- Introducing your dog to your new baby: www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/dogs-and-babies
- Common Dog Behavioral Issues, such as Aggression, Food Guarding, and Separation Anxiety: www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/common-dog-behavior-issues
- Common Cat Behavioral Issues, such as Urine Marking, Litter Box Problems, Destructive Scratching, and Aggression: https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/cat-care/common-cat-behavior-issues